Sunday, June 29, 2008

Obsessions

Pirates, spies, vampires, unicorns, phoenixes, dragons, knights...these are a few of the things I've gotten obsessed with over the years. When I say obsessed, I mean I found out everything about them that I could. Which also means that now, I have very random knowledge about the habits of vampires, how pirates went to the bathroom and bathed, that spying is not quite as dram tic as it seems in the movies, and other sorts of random stuff. I know all about different kind of cats (large and small) for example, the cheetah is the only cat that does not have retractable claws. And whenever I discover something new to obsess over, I go to the library and check-out almost every book they have on the subject.
So what kind of things do you think are interesting and worth finding out everything you can about them?

7 comments:

Mikeinmidwood said...

How about checking up on Shaidim (Ghosts) they are real but the Rambam says they dont exist these days. You will need to check in the Talmud. They interest me. Also theyre is a shapeshifter called Bardelos its also in the Talmud.

Ookamikun said...

How about Lilith, the mother of demons. Also, I seem to remember something about a friendly demon.

MAK said...

Sheidim and Lilith intrigues me, but not enough so that I went on a whole hunt for information. And I hadn't even heard of the shapeshifter until you brought it up Mike. I do recall there was a period where I was interested in dibbuks though..

Ookamikun said...

Since you like spies, how about lockpicking? I got interested in it at one point and even bought a basic lockpick set and picked several locks in my house. The tricks of the trade are very interesting and the videos of masters using weird thing to pick locks are amazing.

MAK said...

My brother has a lock-pick set, and he's pretty good with them. However, he ddn't get it until after my obsession with spies had somewhat passed over. Don' get me wrong, I still thik spies are intersting, but it doesn't quite fascinate as it once did.

Ookamikun said...

Since you said pirates, what about ninjas?

MAK said...

Went into Ninjas as well...though I didn't really get as much info about them as I would have liked. Course, my ninja phase was when I was about 10...so unlike pirates, I didn't get my hands on every ninja book. I did two term papers on pirates in high school. You could say I'm still somewhat obsessed with them.